|This article does not describe part of the Spelljammer universe.
This article contains real world information about a boxed set written for the Spelljammer Campaign Setting. It is written in out of universe style.
AD&D Adventures in Space is a boxed set for the Spelljammer Campaign Setting. It was the first published Spelljammer product.
It provides setting information about the Spelljammer Campaign Setting. The product consists of two 96 page books, four poster maps, eleven cardstock sheets (showing deck plans), three sheets of cut out pieces for tactical battles and one sheet of cut out symbols for use with the crystal sphere map. It was published by TSR Inc. in 1989.
This boxed set, the introductory product for the Spelljammer setting, makes the attempt to take Dungeons & Dragons gaming into space with a fantasy flavor, instead of diverging into science fiction (as was done with certain previous attempts).
The Spelljammer setting accomplishes this largely by way of changing the characteristics of space from the real-world layout. The Spelljammer universe (which many consider to be the Material Plane mentioned in other products) follows a layout drawn from ancient theories. The use of crystal spheres and the phlogiston in this setting are what set it apart from science fiction settings and cyberpunk settings, while retaining a general look and feel consistent with the "other planes of existence" aspects of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
Concordance of Arcane SpaceEdit
Concordance of Arcane Space is the name of the first book in the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set.
It explains the rules for conducting AD&D games in space.
- Arcane Space - This chapter covers: celestial bodies, wildspace, gravity, helms, crystal shells, the phlogiston, breathing in space, air quality, matters of gravity, temperature and time.
- AD&D Rules In Space - This chapter covers: ability scores, character races, lizard men, special races and classes, magic use in space, spelljamming, new wizard spells and new priest spells.
- Ships of Wildspace - This chapter covers: spelljammer architecture, outfitting, ship hulls (caravel, citadel, coaster, cog, damselfly, deathspider, dragonfly, dragonship, drakkar, dromond, flitter, galleon, great galley, hammership, longship, man-o-war, mosquito, nautiloid, sidewheeler, squid ship, tradesman, tyrant ship and wasp), power sources (artifurnaces, crown of the stars, forges, furnaces, gnomish helms, lifejammers, major helms, minor helms, nonmagical engines, orbus, pool helms and series helms), armaments (ballistas, bombards, catapults, greek fire projectors, jettisons, rams and sweepers), turrets, hull armor, improved maneuverability, personal weapons and ammunition, other spelljamming equipment and crews.
- Movement & Combat - This chapter covers: long-range movement, tactical movement, combat, long-range combat, short-range combat, ramming, crashes, shearing attacks, grappling, boarding, rapid resolution of small-scale combat, towing, encounters, evasion, running away and repair.
- Celestial Mechanics - This chapter covers: the planetary display map (layout of the planets, movement on the map, encounters and evasion) and universe building (preplanned universes, DM created universes and randomly generated universes).
- Appendix 1 - Spell Effects - This appendix covers: spells in space, wizard spells, priest spells and magical items.
- Appendix 2 - Travel Times - This appendix covers travel times for: Earth's system, Krynnspace, Greyspace and Realmspace.
- Appendix 3 - Planetary Display - This appendix features a copy of the planetary display map.
- Appendix 4 - The Rock of Bral - This appendix covers: The Rock of Bral.
Lorebook of the VoidEdit
Lorebook of the Void is the name of the second book in the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set.
It explains the races, monsters, and other things that can be encountered in wildspace.
- Campaigns in Space - This chapter covers: getting started (the type of campaign), getting there (going into space), space adventures, life on other planets (types of worlds and their life forms, monsters by world type, monster appearance and change in monster statistics) and landfall (arriving at planets).
- Spelljammers - This chapter covers: armada, caravel, citadel, damselfly, dragonfly, dragonship, flitter, galleon, (gnomish) sidewheeler, hammership, man-o-war, mosquito, nautiloid, (neogi) deathspider, (neogi) mindspider, The Spelljammer, squid ship, tradesman, tyrant ship and wasp.
- Spacefarers - This chapter covers: centaurs, dragons, dwarves, elves, extraplanar beings, giants, gnomes, goblin races, golems, halflings, humans, lizard men, lycanthropes, mind flayers, undead, other monsters, starbeasts and new monsters (arcane, beholder (orbus and hive mother), dracon, dragon (radiant), elmarin, ephemeral, giff, kindori, neogi and scavver (brown, gray, night and void)).
- Known Spheres - This chapter covers: Greyspace, Krynnspace and Realmspace.
- Also included at the back of the book is a Ship Information Form
- Planetary Display Map
- The Spelljammer
- The Rock of Bral
- tactical combat hex grid
- Design: Jeff Grubb
- Editing and Development: Steve Winter, Jim Lowder, Jon Pickens, Karen Boomgarden, Eric Severson, Kim Mohan
- Spiritual Guidance: Jim Ward
- Box Paintings: Jeff Easley
- Book Cover Paintings, Illustrations, Ship Concepts: Jim Holloway
- Cartography: Diesel
- Color Inking, Counter Silhouettes: Roy Parker
- Graphic Design: Stephanie Tabat
- Typography: Angela Lokotz, Gaye O'Keefe
- Category:AiS (the AD&D Adventures in Space category)
- Category:CoAS (the Concordance of Arcane Space category)
- Category:LotV (the Lorebook of the Void category)
- Spelljammer reference: 1049XXX0701 (Planetary Display Map), 1049XXX0702 (The Spelljammer map)1049xxx0703 ('tactical combat hex grid'), 1049XXX0704 (The Rock of Bral map), 1049XXX1901 (Lorebook of the Void), 1049XXX1902 (Concordance of Arcane Space),
- TSR reference: TSR 1049
- ISBN: 0-88038-762-9
- Paul Westermeyer's review of 'AD&D Adventures in Space' at Beyond the Moons (the official Spelljammer website)
- Purchase 'AD&D Adventures in Space' PDF from DriveThruRPG
- Purchase 'AD&D Adventures in Space' PDF from Paizo
- Purchase 'AD&D Adventures in Space' PDF from RPGNow
- View Jeff Easley's 'AD&D Adventures in Space' box cover artwork at Jeff Easley's Official Website